Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Everyone else is talking about it, I might as well, too

Immigration.

I know almost everyone is going to disagree with me. I don't care. I'm certain that my views have been colored from where I live and by my long time experience working in a restaurant, but I cannot get myself to care about illegal immigration.

I know lots of people do care. I'm not one of them. And the people who care, care A LOT.

I'm of the opinion that if someone is willing to travel 2,500 miles to work their ass off as a busser or to pick lettuce or whatever... he's exactly the guy I WANT in this country.

Here's what I do care about. I don't want our national security resources to be expended on chasing down guys named Pablo and Guillermo. I want them to be used killing guys named Ahmed and Muhammed. I don't want National Guard units being activated and used to prevent smuggling. It will be just as effective as we have been at preventing drugs from being smuggled into the country.

Yes, I'm aware that there is the possibility that terrorists could slip across our border. I'm also aware that if catching them at the border is the plan, then we are fucked. Kill them where they live, not where we live. Don't try to sift through a million gardeners that you happen to catch in order to find the man with the plan. Use the resources and kill that Jihadist piece of shit BEFORE he comes here.

I also find the arguments about national security to be terribly disingenuous when it comes to people talking about sealing the border. Wait thirty seconds and they will talk about jobs and whatever else. Their argument isn't about national security, it is about illegal aliens and the policy on THAT.

Yes, illegal immigration is a problem. It's a matter of priority. Car theft is a problem, too. That doesn't mean I want the national guard dealing with it.