Monday, June 19, 2006

Missing Soldiers -- Geneva Conventions

I'm going to try to tread very lightly here because I'm talking about real people with real families out there. I can't help but think that this is going to end badly. When, and I do think it's when not if, this happens and these souls are mistreated or killed, who will be the first elected official to say that it happened because of Abu Ghraib or Gitmo? Who will be the first to say that the kidnapping murderers did this because WE didn't apply the Geneva Conventions to illegal combatants?

It will be as predictable as day following night. Bush or Rumsfeld will be to blame.

*** Update ***

Mark in Mexico gives a nice roundup of those who are already going with this. Amazingly, someone actually thought to include Hadji Girl as part of the reason these men were tortured and murdered.

Jeff G at Protein Wisdom handles this much better than I could ever hope to.