Monday, June 27, 2005

Leapfrogging '06

I've been thinking over the past couple of months who I'd like to run for President on the GOP side in '08. This is a whole lot more difficult than coming up with names that I'd like to be President in '09. The people I'd like to see win I think simply couldn't or wouldn't.

  • Dick Cheney. Bar none, top of my list. Leaving aside the fact that he simply doesn't want the job (which is probably part of his appeal), more than half the country sees him in around the same light that they see Spiro Agnew.
  • Phil Gramm is another that I would like to see get the job. Nope, not gonna happen.
  • Dick Armey... even less likely.
  • Steve Forbes. If there's anyone I'd love to see pick up the baton on Social Security, it's this guy. He got my vote in '96 and '00. Unless he paid Edward Hermann to play his part for the campaign, I just don't think so.
  • Newt Gingrich. Even if he were able to sidestep his personal baggage -- which he very well might be able to do -- I think that there may be too much leftover demonization from '95 to allow him to win. It's odd that he might be the most electable of all my picks.
Picking who I want to run is a whole lot harder. I can't seem to come up with a single one. It's much easier to list who I don't want to get the nomination.

  • Bill Frist is Bob Dole without the personality. I don't mean that ironically either. Bob Dole HAS a fantastic personality, but it never came through until after the election and he relaxed a bit.
  • John McCain might be the least principled person in politics. Someone please tell me a SINGLE principle he believes in besides pleasing Tim Russert.
  • Chuck Hagel. Mini-McCain. The difference is that he has to do more outrageous things to get Russert's attention.
  • Mitt Romney. He won a statewide election in Massachusetts. I honestly don't know much more than that. Do I need to?
I fully understand that '08 is a long ways off, but it also isn't. This race is occurring now. Is there any likely candidate out there that ANYONE is excited about? Is it really too early, or is there just simply a dearth of talent?

Shameless self-promotional plugs over at My vast right-wing conspiracy and My Pet Jawa