Thursday, October 06, 2005

Accident Prone

For people who know me this will come as no surprise, but I think I've got a mild concussion. A couple of days ago I came running down the stairs in my house and caught my noggin on the top of the doorway at the bottom. I held onto consciousness, but it took some effort. So today, I'm a little drugged up on some of my wife's left-over codeine infused pain killers.

The reason I'm thinking concussion is that I've had enough of them to know what they feel like. I'm not quite in Troy Aikman territory, but enough. I think the worst one I ever had was when I went on spring break my freshman year of college. I was walking down the street when an open topped jeep drove by. A hammer-blow. Right behind my left ear. I felt liquid on the side of my face and arm. As I went down to my knees I tried to figure out what the hell had happened. I figured out that the liquid wasn't blood because it smelled like root beer. Then I saw the can.

I said to my buddy who had been walking on my right side, "I think I got hit in the head with a can of Dad's Root Beer." He informed me that it was indeed root beer, but not Dad's, then kept walking.

Apparently the yahoos in the jeep had tossed an unopened can of soda while they were travelling about 40 mph. The thing exploded upon impact with my skull. I spent the next 3 days throwing up.

So far only one day of vomiting this time.