Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Not Quite the American Dream, But I'd Take It

This is a pretty cool story that I read today.
Man Takes Citizenship Oath, Wins Lottery

The Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa A man who immigrated from Kenya to the United States found prosperity beyond his expectations on the day he became a U.S. citizen.

Shortly after Moses Bittok, of West Des Moines, took the oath of citizenship on Friday, he discovered he had a $1.89 million winning ticket from the Iowa Lottery's Hot Lotto game.

"It's almost like you adopted a country and then they netted you $1.8 million," Bittok said Monday as he cashed in his ticket. "It doesn't happen anywhere - I guess only in America."

Bittok said he took the citizenship oath at the federal building in Des Moines Friday then went shopping with his family. They stopped at a gas station to check his lottery ticket from the Sept. 21 drawing.

"For some reason, I'm calm," he said. His wife, Leonida, screamed.

Bittok, 40, an officer at the Iowa Correctional Institute for Women in Mitchellville, said he doesn't know exactly what he will do with his winnings, but a college fund for the couples 4-year-old daughter, Mindy, is top priority.
Everyone always asks, "If you won the lottery would you still keep your job?" My standard answer is that I would get a new job wearing the seats out on my new boat. However, if I worked in a women's prison I might rethink that position. I've seen movies.

Seriously though, what a cool day to have. "Welcome to your new country, here's a shitpile of money to help you on your way." As the title of the post suggests, I don't think this is the American dream, but it's maybe the American daydream.