Thursday, July 21, 2005

Where have I heard this?

Jeff Goldstein points out a fantastic post by Ghost of a Flea.

Where have I heard this nonsensical position before?

Ashraf Choudhary, a Labour MP in New Zealand refused to condemn "the practice of stoning homosexuals and adulterous women".
He refused to disagree with the Koran's recommendations, saying it was appropriate in "those societies", not in New Zealand. Dr Choudhary's statement says he is a devout Muslim and stands by the teachings of the Koran but, as a matter of personal belief, he abhors stoning and is strongly opposed to violence
So he personally opposes stoning and the killing of homosexuals and women, he just doesn't think it appropriate to legislate his morality upon others. He went on to say:

"I can't take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist. We have separation of church and state in the United States of America."