Monday, July 18, 2005

Weekend fun

This is more of a personal diary post than anything. This weekend a guy I know got out of prison. I haven't seen him in eleven years. I'm friends with his three really unbelievably successful daughters. Eleven years. How he got there is not irrelavent, but too complicated to bother explaining. He fucked up big. He acted badly. But he also got screwed. Eleven years.

Talking to him, I was first struck by how unchanged he was. My sister and I talked about it after and both of us said the same thing. His hair style changed, not much else. It's like he didn't age a day. It was almost like he stepped out of a time machine. He'd never surfed the internet. He did that over at my friend's house for the first time this weekend.

He asked me about the well-being of a guy I hadn't thought about in 10 years. When he went to prison I was dating a girl whose dad had a bad disease (we come from a small town). We broke up badly and never spoke again. That was 10 years ago. I've been married for 5 1/2. He asked my sister what she's done since high school. It's almost as though the clock stopped ticking for him 11 years ago. I hope he's able to cope. It won't be easy.