Saturday, July 30, 2005

60 Years Ago Today


The USS Indianapolis was sunk by Japanese torpedoes. Many people (myself included) first learned about this tragedy from Robert Shaw's telling of the story in the movie Jaws (hands down best scene in that movie). "We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes...316 men come out, the sharks took the rest."
I have no insights or commentary that would add anything to the wonderful sites (see below) dedicated to the men lost in the worst Naval disaster in American history. I just want to say thank you to the men who won the war, the men who have missed the past 60 years because of their brave actions, and those who are still with us.
ussindianapolis.org
Wikipedia
Naval Historical Center
The Fiftieth Star
eMusings
Rhymes with Right

Addendum: Smash graciously pointed out in the comments a lapse in ettiquette on my part. Corrected here. God do I hate when I make an ass of myself when I unintentionally do stupid things. Tips, hints, scoldings and criticism that help me improve are greatly appreciated.